Disclaimer

The ideas and views expressed in the blog are mine and do not reflect the ideas and views of WorldTeach.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Going to the Small(er) Island




This weekend, I got to go on a camping trip with my mama, baba, and two other ripelles to what everyone calls the "small island". This term encompasses a whole group of smaller islands that are uninhabited but in the same atoll as Wotje. It took an hour canoe ride but we made it just before it got dark outside. And yes, I rode in a handmade, traditional Marshallese canoe. Pictures to follow, whenever I get a chance to upload.

On the island, we ate freshly caught fish, slept in hammocks under the stars, ate coconut pancakes and made our handicrafts. The guys went out fishing, but my baba says he will teach me to sail the canoe and fish with the long net, so I wasn't too jealous. All in good time. I got to spend some quality time with my mama and practice my Marshallese skills such as starting a fire with a coconut, using a machete to cut me some coconut juice, and eat a ridiculous amount of pandanus.

All in all it was a good trip. Here are some pictures from earlier, sorry about the delay in the blog update.

PS to Kathleen's mama: I heard her on the radio on Wednesday, so maybe someone fixed her radio? She's doing good, although I haven't seen her in a bit. I think there was a party on Wodmej this weekend so she didn't come over. My baba has told me that she will come fishing with us sometime so that's good. Hope everything's good with you guys and thanks for the emails!

No comments:

Post a Comment