Disclaimer

The ideas and views expressed in the blog are mine and do not reflect the ideas and views of WorldTeach.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Sea Turtle, the other white meat.

I love the Marshall Islands but there are many things that make me feel slightly uneasy doing. The most recent of these is my consumption of an endangered species. I know that there are only 7 species of sea turtles in the world. I know that they are endangered. I know that the Marshall Islands is one of their many nesting areas. I know that in order to catch one, they wait on the beach for the turtle to come up and lay its eggs and then they walk up and flip it over. I also know that they take the eggs and eat them as well. Knowing all this, I still ate turtle.
On Saturday, there was a funeral for a big important ex councilman for Wotje. There were tons of people there, all the muckity mucks fro the atoll. After the service, we all go to the church and listen to some speeches. While this is happening, they bring in 2, count them, 2 turtle shells that are so big, I could sit in them. They are full of meat and one has the turtle stew complete with baby sea turtle eggs. They serve me up a generous portion of both. Even though it's morally wrong and I felt absolutely guilty about it. I ate the turtle. I couldn't eat the eggs though. Knowing that they would have looked adorable, just like Squirt from Finding Nemo.
The Marshallese people have been eating sea turtle forever. So I don't know if I can feel outraged that they do this. It's not that the Marshallese are consuming turtles at a ridiculous pace that they are disappearing. I feel like it's a gray area. Also, endangered species would last longer if they didn't taste so delicious. It had the texture of well marinated beef and tasted light like chicken but WAY better. Just if you wanted to know.
I'm sorry Tram. I had to.
Kathleen's Mama: Saw her this weekend and she's doing well. Her classes are hard, but it seems like she's getting into a groove. We tried to go snorkeling but it didn't work out. I told her that if you want to email me with questions for her, I talk to her on the radio on Wednesday at 5pm. Oh and I told her Congrats on the 9 law schools!

No comments:

Post a Comment