Disclaimer

The ideas and views expressed in the blog are mine and do not reflect the ideas and views of WorldTeach.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

At Long Last!

After a delay of 6 weeks, my school has finally started! And I should qualify the statement that we've started by saying that only Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, and 8th grades have started. The new classrooms are still lacking in chairs, tables, desks, and school supplies of any kind. Apparently these materials are on the ship, due to arrive Thursday. We still have 3 teachers and our principal on the ship and the rest are using this time to clean up the yard and empty classrooms which are still full of building materials. We will start registering students on Monday and then Tuesday classes will start. The teachers are still unsure of how the school will make up those 6 weeks we lost at the beginning of the year. Some are saying school will go until July and others think we may be having Saturday school for awhile as well as foregoing any holidays except Christmas.


My teaching schedule is as follows:
  • 8:00-8:45 Kindergarten
  • 9:00-10:00 1st Grade
  • 10:00-11:00 3rd Grade
  • 11:00-12:00 8th Grade Science
  • 12:00-1:00 Lunch
  • 1:00-2:00 8th Grade

I am teaching all English except for the one period of science. This schedule is also temporary and may change when the principal gets here. On Monday I will be talking to the teachers about their class and then hopefully I'll have a better idea of what exactly I'm teaching in each grade. Right now, I only have the 8th grade books so I'm trying to design a plan around those. I'm excited to finally have a job and to contribute instead of sitting around playing cards or hanging out with my Marline, my host sister. I'm really excited but also incredibly nervous. I want to do a great job, but there are so many factors working against me...

Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment